Hey guys!
Wanted to share something that happened this morning,
As I was hurriedly trying to scoff some breakfast down after realizing I was late to school anyways,
I couldn't help but notice the TV eyeing me down in the living room, so naturally I turned it on. Zapping through the channels, my mom annoyed at this- tells me to watch 'RTL Nieuws', the Dutch news report. Now I know that 1 in 5 people in The Netherlands prefer coffee over cappuccino. Big news in this country. But okay, look at this :)
http://www.hollandsentinel.com/topstories/x1539861008/Gov-Rick-Snyder-leads-off-street-sweeping-Volksparade
Its just your average everyday news, in this particular article - which the news presenter referred to- Michigan governor 'Rick Snyder' aims to keep his surroundings clean (probably as an eco-friendly campaign), and to do so kicks off his message through a 'Volksparade'. Children get the day off of school to participate in this. The Volkaparade is a parade where they dress up like the Dutch and carry around broomsticks and dustpans as a way of promoting clean streets- or maybe simply for entertainment. At the end of all this, they go out to clean the streets because 'its a typically Dutch thing to do' the presenter quoted.
After hearing this, my mom asked me in her Indian accent 'Why are these Americans so obsessed with the Dutch?' and I replied 'Because we were settled there for a while'. My mom laughed at hearing the word 'we'. Sarcastic momma Yoga then follows with ' Wow 'ms van der Yoga' when did you turn Dutch?'
My mom has lived here just as long as I have but hasn't spent her childhood days or as per definition 'development days' here, she refers to the Dutch as 'the Dutch' whereas I blurted out the word 'we' associating myself as Dutch in some way ...
By nature- by blood- you are from country A, but have been nurtured- brought up- in country B.
Whats the opinion on third culture kids: Nature or nurture?
No comments:
Post a Comment